Sunday, February 28, 2010

Creating a Sacred Space



Today my reading was about creating a sacred space. I decided to share this one because I think it is so important. This is a space to celebrate, concentrate and consecrate our inner work. It can be small or large. It can just mean carving out a certain space of time each day. But I am starting to understand how an actual physical location can be so valuable. It's funny because I created a sacred space to nurture other women (and men and children too-- but especially women) through my studio. But I never use that space just for me. Several times I have had the thought to go in there to do my morning and evening routines, but I have never actually done it. I asked myself why today and the answer came simply in a feeling of resistance. Why do I resist using that space to nurture myself? The truth is, I am still learning to give myself permission to really and truly shut everything else out but myself, and totally take care of me. I am scared to do it. I avoid it. I have put my toes in the water, even waded in mid calf or thigh. But I won't jump. I won't let myself dive in and float up on my back and actually envelop myself in my own sacred space, truly connected to my authentic self. Doing my inner work and totally tuning everything else out seems like it's not ok. It's ok to steel away a few minutes, as long as I am still available to the outside world. In case the phone rings, the baby crys, the doorbell rings. Someone might need me. Or I might miss something.

Sarah Ban Breathnach says it doesn't have to be a whole room. it can be a small cranny or nook, a table or bench. If you have limited space, open yourself to discovering how you can create this kind of space with what you have available. Make it beautiful. Fill it with sounds, smells, pictures, flowers, fabric, colors--whatever inspires and brings you joy.
She says of her space, "Love created this space for me once I became open to allowing it in my life. The objects displayed on the table represent all that I love and for which I am grateful."

"In order to stay easily and happily creative, we need to stay spiritually centered. This is easier to do if we allow ourselves centering rituals. It is important that we devise these ourselves from elements that feel holy and happy to us." Julia Cameron

This week I will be travelling again. I am ecstatic about a seminar I will be attending in New Jersey. But I have two days left. I promise myself I will add a few sacred, inspiring, hope filled, items to my sacred room. I will make it a little more nurturing and inspiring to me. And I will allow myself to enter it alone, consecrate it and find my own safety in that space. I will take the plunge.

I'll give you a tour when I get back from my trip.
Id love to hear about it, if a sacred space opens up for you in your life.

No comments: